The times they are a-changing



Grotty station pub in the process of being refurbished into “beer house”.

Glasgow Central station has been abysmal for beer for years. I can count on one hand the number of times in twenty years I’ve stopped for a beer in the station itself, rather than nipping round the corner to the Horse Shoe, the Pot Still, the Drum & Monkey or the Laurieston. 

I’m not getting my hopes up expecting a Sheffield Tap-style transformation. By all accounts this is a bit of bandwagon-jumping by the operator, SSP, who had the Arrol before and have all the other rubbish bars in the station too. If you’ve ever wondered why food outlets in stations tend to share the grim anonymity of mediocre products and extortionate prices, it’s because they’re all the same company.

Beer House outlets in other stations have received less than gushing reviews. The bar is due to re-open this week. I’ll try it and hope to be pleasantly surprised.





Comments

  1. I'll be back in Glasgow in less than a month, so look forward to your report.

    Like you though, I won't be holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts